Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wood Ants


Wood Ants
Originally uploaded by TropicallyTied
Luckily for us there are no dangerous animals in Dominica but there are 3 creatures that can throw me into irrational panic.
1. cockroaches, 2. snakes and 3. wood ants
I have just about conquered worrying about snakes. They have to be more worried about us than we about them. Mention snake and the cutlasses soon come out.
Cockroaches, well I think most people are with me on this one. Why do they exist again?
As for wood ants, I grew up with stories of the amazing feats of wood ants, bringing down whole houses, eating through roof beams etc all in a matter of a few days apparantly. Their destruction going undetected until it's too late. The mere sight of wood ants even in the garden will turn the average mild mannered Dominican into a chemical wielding frenzy

1 comment:

Maureen said...

So true about the snake & the cutlass...While I was in Dominica recently, we were driving along & in the middle of the road was this large snake cut in two...If I was not in the vehicle & was just walking along that would really freak me out...