Saturday, September 26, 2009

FrontLine Bookstore, Dominica

I think I heard that after 27 years, today will be the last day for the Frontline Bookstore in Dominica. If so this is the second bookstore which has closed in recent months (Pages bookstore also closed this year).
For me this is a sad occassion. When I used to come on holiday to Dominica, I could not go back without at least one visit to FrontLine and being back it became a regular Roseau stop.
I could always get the latest books by local authors and poets, the latest CD by our musicians, find out what cultural shows, poetry readings, art exhibitions, hikes etc were taking place or just stop for a chat.
So I wish Sealey, Zenith and all the others I used to meet at Frontline the very best. It will certainly be missed.

I read on http://thedominican.net that the Frontline Cooperative Bookstore was founded in 1982 by Eddie "Izzar" Toulon, Gabriel Christian and others.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I am also so sad to hear that Frontline Bookstore has closed down. I wish Sealey & Zenith all the best for the future...

Tropical Ties said...

It looks like Frontline have an extension until after the Independence season

Unknown said...

I am researching key periods in my life for my memoirs. I was a founding member of Frontline. It is very sad his vision did not take root after all that investment.