Sunday, August 30, 2009

Chasing Hummingbirds in Dominica


Hummingbird, Dominica
Originally uploaded by TropicallyTied
Ever since I saw my friend Steve's fab hummingbird shot Steve's Hummingbird Photo
I have been trying to capture my own hummingbird picture. Unfortunately these fidgety birds never stay still and by the time I have composed, focused and pressed to shoot, they have long gone, together with my patience, laughing their little heads off.
But last weekend I had some time on my hands and happened to be in a garden full of hummingbirds. I spent hours chasing them up and down and finally managed to get a few shots. I wish I read these useful tips beforehand.
Shooting a Hummingbird with a camera
There are 4 species of hummingbird found in Dominica. This one, the purple-throated carib (eulampis jugularis) is the biggest. The others are: green-throated carib hummingbird, antillean crested hummingbird and the endemic blue-headed hummingbird.

No comments: